Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I remember Stage Management! Honest!

I actually do.  Of course, it's been a few years, but my memory lets me utilize old skills like they were just-learned. It's just that this is my first time in the wild as a full Stage Manager, and as the norm where "I haven't done this before," I have stage-fright.

One nice thing about being a SM at Theatre Suburbia is that the scope is a lot less than it was at the University of Houston. There's a lot of autonomy: Tech calls its own cues, costuming is a cooperative effort between the actor and the theatre's costumer, and the AD writes down all the blocking. :)

The other nice thing is that the board is very appreciative of anyone willing to stage-manage.  That helps a lot in quelling those butterflies in my stomach.  Not that I'll be given a free pass to mess up (which I won't), but they make me feel welcome in the position.  Mind, I don't know if that will change when I ask to rummage through props for do-fers for the play. :)

Last night's rehearsal went pretty well. Play On! has a play-within-a-play, Murder Most Foul. No, not that one. This one's by a local playwright who's willing to let the theatre players put it on for free.  Our director blocked out the "ideal" of Murder's third act, because the players proceed to butcher it with all their stops and starts. We've got some fun stuff here, and I might even have foley work backstage.  It might be tricky, though: we're talking about having the set somewhat open so the audience can see some of the backstage hijinks.  I don't yet know if that means we'll have a back wall to hide the real backstage or not.  I actually imagine we will;  the current set has one built (from Dear Santa and Deadly Murder.)


No comments:

Post a Comment